Church of St. Olha and Elizabeth
Please VIEW LARGE
The church was built by the Latin Archbishop of Lviv Saint Joseph Bilczewski in the years 1903-1911 as a parish church for the city’s dynamically developing western suburb. It was designed by architects and engineers from the Lviv Polytechnic, in the neo-Gothic style, similar to that of the Votive Church in Vienna. St. Elisabeth’s, placed on a hill which is the watershed of the Baltic and Black Sea, with its facade flanked by two tall towers and an 85 m belfry on the north side with imposing spires was envisioned as Lviv’s first landmark to great visitors arriving in the city by train.
In 1939 the church was damaged in a bombing raid but remained open until 1946. During soviet rule the building was used as warehouse and fell further into ruin, until it was returned to faithful with the collapse of the soviet union. In 1991 a Ukrainian Greek Catholic was established and the church was reconsecrated as the Greek Catholic church of Sts. Olha and Elizabeth.
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 10-20mm EX DC
Shot on May 24, 2010
3 shot HDR processed in Photomatix 3.2 Pro