The Bigelow Bridge is one of the historical covered bridges in Union County, Ohio.
All four historical covered bridges in Union County were designed and built by Reuben L. Partridge (1823-1900) and are based on a design patented by him in 1872. The Union County covered bridges all have “windows” cut into the siding. This is not in the original design. It was done to increase visibility with the advent of automobile traffic.
This historic bridge was built in 1873 and spans 114’ of Little Darby Creek. The bridge was named in honor of Eliphas Bigelow, a nearby resident. In 1990, the bridge underwent an extensive renovation. Massive nail-laminated arches were seated into new concrete foundations. The arch system now carries the weight of traffic on this bridge. (The Bridges of Union County pamphlet ~Union County Engineer)
Union County, Ohio, USA, 2011
Canon EOS digital Rebel XTi