A 9 shot HDR taken from the rear of the Chapter House at Kirkstall Abbey in Leeds.
Date & Time: 6th April 2011
Camera: Nikon D40
Lens: AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Program: Aperture-Priority AE
Exposure Time: Various
F Number: 6.3
Kirkstall Abbey is one of the most complete examples of a medieval Cistercian abbey in Britain. Henry de Lacy, Lord of the manor of Pontefract, 2nd Lord of Bowland, promised to dedicate an abbey to the Virgin Mary should he survive a serious illness. He recovered and agreed to give the Abbot of Fountains Abbey land at Barnoldswick in the West Riding of Yorkshire (now in Lancashire) on which to found a daughter abbey. Abbot Alexander with twelve Cistercian monks from Fountains went to Barnoldswick and after demolishing the existing church attempted to build the abbey on Henry de Lacy’s land. They stayed for six years but found the place inhospitable. Abbot Alexander set about finding a more suitable place for the abbey and came across a site in the heavily wooded Aire Valley occupied by hermits. Alexander sought help from de Lacy who was sympathetic and helped acquire the land from William de Poitou. The monks moved from Barnoldswick to Kirkstall displacing the hermits, some of whom joined the abbey, the rest being paid to move. The buildings were mostly completed between 1152 when the monks arrived in Kirkstall and the end of Alexander’s abbacy in 1182. Millstone Grit for building came from Bramley Fall on the opposite side of the river.