The castle is hard to spot, on top of a high mountain, it looks like just another steep rock from a distance.The first mention of the castle was in1070, then owned by the Catalan Counts of Besalú. In 1111 it came under the district of Barcelona and the Viscount of Narbonne.
During the crusades against the Albigineons, it refused to submit and Guillome de Peyrepertuse was excommunicated in 1224.
In November 1240 the chateau became a French possession. The joint forces of the Catholic church and the princes of northern France had taken control of the whole region of the Cathars, the troubadurs and the romantic poetry, a culture very different from that in other regions in what was to become France.