Mpumalanga, SOUTH AFRICA.
Pilgrim’s Rest is a historical gold-mining town. In the year 1873, the digger Alec Patterson was roaming the densely forested hills, all the while pushing a wheelbarrow with his belongings. At a place later called “Pilgrim’s Creek” he got lucky. He saw big lumps of gold shimmering in the clear water. Full of joy he exclaimed “The pilgrim can rest!” Soon thereafter, the gold rush started. Diggers from all over the world flocked to Pilgrim’s Rest and settled along the river. The town developed rapidly.
Pilgrim’s and Sabie News:The first locally printed newspaper to be circulated on the Pilgrim’s Rest Goldfields was the ‘Gold News’ on 24 January 1874. Shortly after it was first published, an Irishman, W.J. Phelan, became the new editor and he changed its name to ‘Goldfields Mercury’. In 1910 the first ’Pilgrim’s and Sabie News’ was published with T.W.S. Craig as its editor. The original premises of the paper which was situated between the present building and the Pilgrim’s Hotel was totally destroyed by fire some time between 1916 and 1919. Subsequently the printing works was moved to its present site. This building was originally a private residence constructed during the late 19th century. (Pilgrims Rest History)
Pencil, pen and ink and waterpaint on Water colour Paper. Inspiration taken from Wilna Rautenbach, who sketched many old buildings in Pilgrim’s Rest.
FEATURED in Handpainted or drawn buildings and Architecture
7 September 2010.
Top Ten in Handpainted or drawn buildings and architecture
10 September 2010
FEATURED In Watercolour Pencil Art
20 September 2010.
FEATURED in African Art at Heart
26 September 2010
FEATURED in AFRICAN BEAUTY
5 October 2010.
FEATURED in Amazing Challenge Entertainment
13 Oct. 2011.
FEATURED in Women Painters
21 January 2016.
FEATURED in African Art and Photography
1 February 2016.