The Church of our Lady of Mt Carmel and the Holy Apostles St Peter and St Paul at the small outback township of Mullewa, Western Australia – 450 Km North of Perth and 100 km west of Geraldton.
The building which was mostly built by Monsignor Hawes – he was architect, foreman and labourer – is an attempt to recreate a Romanesque church typical of the village churches in Italy and Spain. It is a low church designed to keep the sun out and to blend into the harsh semi-desert environment. Hawes, who saw each of his churches as expressing some aspect of his faith, saw the church and its buildings as symbolising the antiquity of Christianity. It was built from 1915-1927.
249 viewings on 9 July 2016
“Top 10” in challenge in “Western Australia”