The tower of Matthias Church (Matyas Church) stands above the Holy Trinity Square in the Castle District of Buda in Budapest, Hungary. It is also known as the Church of Our Lady. The very ornate spire is a major landmark on the hill above the Danube River. The building behind is the Hilton Castle Hotel.
The Matthias Church is one of Budapest’s most important churches. Many of Hungary’s kings were coronated here and the church is home to important tombs and ecclesiastical treasures. Officially known as The Church of Our Lady, Budapest’s St. Matthias Church was built in 1255 and was ravaged during the liberation of Budapest from the Turks in 1686. In the late nineteenth century, architect Frigyes Schulek is credited with largely restoring St. Matthias Church to its original splendour and reconstruction was completed in 1896.