A Ring-Billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) landing at the DJ Wilcox Preserve in Fort Pierce Florida USA along the shoreline of the Indian River.
The site was named after D. J. Wilcox, past owner of the property and County Commissioner. Dewey Wilcox was a foreman for the East Coast Development Company (partly owned by Edwin Binney from Crayola fame) that was to create a new town called Indrio during the land boom of the late 1920’s. The depression stopped the town from being built, and Dewey purchased much of the land from the company. D.J. moved his in-laws (the Aubrecht’s) to the site in the late 1920’s. Remnants of the Aubrecht homestead (circa 1925) remain, and a short trail interprets its history.
Nikon D2H 300mm lens 1/500sec F5.6 EI200