Nikon D3000/Tamron 18mm-200mm lens
AS IS no editing
112 views – 23.02.13
Seagry is a civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south east of Malmesbury and 5.5 miles (8.9 km) north east of Chippenham. Its main settlements are the village of Upper Seagry (first documented in 1317 as ‘Over Seagry’) and the hamlet of Lower Seagry (first documented in 1218 as ‘Nether Seagry’). The toponym is thought to derive from the Old English for “sedge stream” possibly referring to the River Avon which flows through the area.
There is evidence that the area was settled in the Upper Paleolithic period, and also of Saxon occupation. The Domesday Book of 1086 records two manors, that of Durand of Gloucester Segrete, and that of Dru Fitz Ponz, Segrie.
Segrete became part of the estates of the Earl of Hereford, and later passed into the ownership of Bradenstoke Abbey until the Dissolution of the Monasteries.3 A grange farm at Lower Seagry was associated with the Abbey.
The Church of England parish church of St Mary the Virgin was founded in 1172 by Walter de Clifford, who was a descendant of the Fitz Ponz family. Clifford is buried in the church, as is Isabell Mompesson.