The Cathedral Church of Christ, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott’s masterpiece, is built on St. James’ Mount and is visible from miles around: “a visible witness for God in the midst of the great city”.
The decision to build was taken under the leadership of Bishop Francis James Chavasse, second Bishop of Liverpool, in the summer of 1901.
After an open competition, a design by an unknown 22-year-old architect was chosen. In 1904 King Edward VII laid the Foundation Stone in the presence of 7,000 people. Building began at the East end and, by means of a series of temporary walls, the whole building moved towards completion.