A trip on the East Lancashire Railway is journey back in time. It was opened in 1846 to link the Manchester to Bolton line with Radcliffe and was a popular passenger and freight route which served the Irwell Valley from Bury, via Ramsbottom, to Rawtenstall and beyond.
1972 saw the last passengers travel on the Bury to Rawtenstall section, and that would have been the end of an era had the East Lancashire Preservation Society not been committed to restoring the line to its former glory.
With assistance from Bury and Rossendale Councils, the line was reopened in 1991. The traditional station buildings and developments along the tracks have contributed to the Society being presented with a number of environmental awards. Work continued to finally complete the railways extension to Heywood.