Liverpool’s Central Library has reopened to the public after a £50m refurbishment that has taken more than two years.
The refurbishment was the result of a decade of planning and it took four months to re-stock four million books, prints and paintings.
The library, on William Brown Street, originally opened in 1860.
Rare treasures include the original 1207 Charter signed by King John, which granted Liverpool city status.
There is also an “extremely valuable” copy of The Birds of America, by naturalist and painter John James Audubon, as well as paintings by the 19th Century artist Edward Lear.
During the renovations, the facade of the Grade II* listed building, specialist libraries and reading rooms were restored.