Please click on image to see a larger version.
Founded in 1880, St. Elmo lies in the heart of the Sawatch Range, 20 miles southwest of Buena Vista, Colorado. Nearly 2,000 people settled in this town when mining for gold and silver became viable. The town was at its peak in the 1890s, when it included a telegraph office, general store, town hall, five hotels, saloons, dancing halls, a newspaper office, and a schoolhouse. There were 150 patented mine claims within the area, with the Mary Murphy Mine alone recovering over $60,000,000 worth of gold. The community is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as St. Elmo Historic District. It is one of Colorado’s most preserved ghost towns.
Elevation: 10,050 feet
San Isabel National Forest
The photo was made using a Canon EOS 50D digital body, an EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro lens, at f/18.0 for 1/20 second at 100 ISO.