Sold 8 Greeting Cards of this castle
Following a small idyllic lane along an old Scheldt arm, we passed the Castle Marnix de Sainte Aldegonde.
Since 1780 the castle has been in the hands of the Marnix family. But the history of this neo gothic castle goes back to the 9th and 10th century when there was a medieval stronghold on this spot. This castle was built on the banks of the river Schelde. The route of the river changed around 1240. As the result of this the castle lost its defending purpose.
The interior of the castle is richly decorated with paintings, furniture, lace, Chinese porcelain and handwritten books. The old outhouse is a coach museum. Also, there is a permanent exhibition about the life of Philips de Marnix (1538-1598) Lord Van Sainte Aldegonde, the most famous name of the Marnix dynasty.
The castle has been available for visiting since 1988. John de Marnix de Sainte Aldegonde, the 14th Count, was the initiator .
Castle Marnix de Saint-Aldegonde was renovated by the architect Henri Beyaert at the end of the 19th century. He kept the superb proportions of the renaissance castle built by the Spanish nobleman don Pedro Coloma.
The guided tour focuses on the 16th century and the wonderful paintings of Margaret of Austria, the emperor Charles V and Philip II carry the visitor away to this troubled but exciting era of the history of the Low Countries.
The castle possesses a collection of 18th century furniture, splendid engravings by Pieter Breughel the Elder, a lace cabinet and a room with antique dolls. The lay-out of the collection is testimony of the passion of the owners to host visitors in this exceptional space.
To complete the visit there’s a permanent exhibition on Philip de Marnix, secretary to William of Orange. It pays tribute to the author of the Dutch national hymn, the “Beehive” and who was also mayor of Antwerp and courageous defender of the city against Alexander Farnese and his men.
In the annexes a charming carriage museum shows a collection of perfectly preserved antique carriages.