The ruins of the Kangaroo Inn are located approx. 25km North of Millicent, in the Wattle Range on South Australia’s Limestone Coast.
Nearly as old as the state of South Australia itself, the Inn was originally built in the 1840s, using using stone quarried with pick and shovel from the stony ridges on the site of the buildings. Once hewn into bricks using stone chippers, they were mortared together with a mixture of lime and sand. The ceiling consisted of lathe and plaster, the roof was slats and iron.
Originally, it was a junction station, built prior to the Victorian Gold Rush. It was used as a resting place for mail coach drivers from Cobb & Co, where they would stop to rest and refresh both horses and people. Bullock teams also found this a place of rest and refreshment. Although unlicenced, the Inn had a popular liquor trade, which was accompanied by its fair share of troubles (including an unsolved murder)! The main thick wooden door was
suspended from the top by hinges, so that it could be lowered quickly to protect the occupants in case of trouble. The Inn closed in 1886 when the new Kintore Hotel was opened at nearby Furner.
Information from the Wattle Range Tourism site.
Nikon D80, Tamron 28-300mm lens @ 28mm, Portrait mode, 1/2500 sec @ f3.5, ISO 400, Pattern metering, auto exposure and WB. Processed and converted to sepia to try and capture the feel of pictures of the era in Photoshop Elements 3.