Parrsboro is a small town on the shore of Minas Basin, an arm of the Bay of Fundy, in northern Nova Scotia, Canada. The town was first settled by the Acadians in 1670 at the western mouth of the Harbour. After they were expelled in 1755, they were replaced by settlers from New England., and the town was named Parrsboro in honour of Nova Scotia Governor John Parr in 1784. The town was incorporated on July 15, 1889.
It gained fame as the centre of a vigorous ship-building industry, becoming the port of registry in 1850 for over 115 locally built schooners as well as giant square riggers. The largest of these was the ship Glooscap in 1891. In its peak years of the 1890s, over 1646 ships arrived and departed annually.
In addition, many fossils have been unearthed here, including the world’s smallest dinosaur footprint. The town also includes Ottawa House By The Sea, the summer home of Sir Charles Tupper in the 1860s, and named Ottawa in honour of the Confederation of Canada.
The first Parrsboro Lighthouse, an octagonal wooden tower with an attached dwelling, was built in 1852 at the end of the sand spit near the entrance to the harbour at Parrsboro.
On November 23 and 24, 1873 a violent storm washed away roughly one hundred feet of protective work around the station. Due to its exposed location, the lighthouse was routinely threatened by storms.
The original tower eventually succumbed to erosion around 1945 and was replaced by a beacon atop a skeletal tower until the present lighthouse, a square tower rising from the corner of a one-story building, was constructed in 1980. It was automated in 1987.
July 23, 2007
Fuji S100FS camera
Featured in High Quality Images
Featured in All About Lighthouses