West Dover is a coastal fishing village in the province of Nova Scotia,Canada, on Highway 333 south of Halifax. It was settled in the 1770’s by families of mostly German descent, and in it’s early years the village prospered as a thriving fishing community, selling it’s wares up and down the Atlantic Coast.
From 1920 to 1933, due to Prohibition in the United States, many fishermen found a risky but very profitable sideline in rum running. Setting out for the coast of Maine on moonless nights, the alcohol was stored in wooden barrels laden with salt. If the long arm of the law approached, the barrels were tossed overboard, and sank. But the salt gradually dissolved and after the “problem” had gone away, the barrels floated to the surface, where they were recovered and went on to the waiting arms of the thirsty folks down the coast.
After Prohibition ended the fishery continued to support the village, and then came a paved road, electricity, a government wharf, phone service, and the first tourists.
In 1992 the northern cod fishery collapsed due to
over-fishing, largely from foreign fleets using mass production methods of harvesting, and the lobster fishery became the main staple of the fishing economy.
Gradually the tourist industry has increased and today the village is a beautiful place to enjoy. Being part of the Peggy’s Cove Preservation Area, the area around the village has innumerable lakes,bogs and granite hills, left over from the glaciers of the last Ice Age, about 10,000 years ago.
Typical of many such villages, a variety of fishing boats share the waterfront with fish sheds,workshops and homes.
This little series was taken June 23, 2007
Sony DSCF828 camera