Located in the centre of downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, the 16-acre Public Gardens are one of the few remaining Victorian public gardens in North America. Originally started in 1836, a second set was established in 1867 and the two were unified into the present site in 1874. During the tenure of head gardener Richard Power, from 1872 to 1915, many new features were added: the bandstand, fountains, statues and wrought iron gates. All were basic features of a High Victorian Pleasure Garden and all honoured some event such as a milestone in Queen Victoria’s reign, a military event, or an important local event or person.
The Halifax Public Gardens were recognized as a National Historic Site in 1984, and are open to the public from May to November, the actual dates being somewhat subject to prevailing weather conditions. During the season, they are a mecca for residents and tourists alike, being in the middle of the downtown area, surrounded by shopping, hotels, theatres, apartments and within easy walking distance of the waterfront.
Taken June 27, 2007 with a Sony DSCF828 camera.