Margaree Harbour is a small fishing village on the west coast of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. It has a small safe harbour to protect the fishing boats from the gales and storms which come in off the Gulf of St. Lawrence in the winter. The village is also on the Cabot Trail, the world-famous scenic road which encircles the northern part of Cape Breton and encloses Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Besides offshore fishing, the village is at the outlet of the Margaree River, a famous fishing stream, and the fertile farmlands of the Margaree Valley. Anyone of the thousands of tourists who annually visit Cape Breton can esily reach Margaree by a short road trip from the town of Baddeck, which is considered to be the start and end point of the Cabot Trail. The Trail was named after John Cabot of Bristol, who first landed either on Cape Breton or Cape Bonavista, Newfoundland in 1497. Since he died on a subsequent voyage, nobody know for sure which island was the actual landfall.
Photo taken in the autumn of 2006 with a Sony DSCF828 camera, just as the morning mists were rising off the harbour and the morning sun was glowing off the boats and the blue water of the channel leading out to the open Gulf.