The fishing port of Fortune,Newfoundland. taken during a trip around the Burin Peninsula in 1966. Originally a 35mm. slide on high speed Ektachrome film, with an Exakta Varex SLR, F2.0 Biotar lens. Scanned with a Canoscan 4000US scanner.
Fortune’s history goes back to 1527, recorded on both Spanish and Italian maps.Basque fishermen were coming to Fortune at least as early as 1650. In 1765, Captain James Cook found a small fishing village.
Around 1763 a severe storm forced John Lake to seek shelter in the harbour at Fortune. He returned the next year and built a house on the eastern side of the harbour. Many other families from the Placentia Bay area, including Lake’s brother, soon followed and by 1836, the settlement was well established as a thriving fishing port.It’s also the main trading port between Newfoundland and the French Islands of St.Pierre and Miquelon.