Deal Castle is a low, stone artillery fortress, founded by King Henry VIII, in 1539. Built as the central fort of a closely placed series of three, they guard the sheltered anchorage, of the Downs. The largest of coastal forts, the circular, central keep, is encased by six bastions, which rise to first floor height. A series of six outer bastions, one serving as the gatehouse, form the curtain wall and at basement level, a gallery with gun loops provides defence, of the deep, wide moat. Fortified during the Napoleonic Wars, many alterations were made during the 18th and 19th century. Perfectly symmetrical and designed to resemble a Tudor rose, it was the official residence of the Captain of the Cinque Ports, until 1951. Canon 20D Sigma 17-70mm@17 1/250s f8 ISO100. Processed in Dynamic-Photo HDR and Photoshop CS3.