The title is a slang-ish manner (apparently, Richard J. Daley, while serving as mayor of Chicago, was referred to as “Da Mare” – among other things) of saying “The Mayor’s House”.
This is the Bay City Hall, located in Bay City (Bay County), Michigan, US. Built in the late 1880’s, it’s still in use (though it suffered a small roof fire a few years back, and has since been repaired).
I used Corel® Painter Photo Essentials 4 to ‘paint’ my original photograph. Normally, I do not edit my photos very much. Mostly I’ll simply straighten, crop, then use a one-step enhancement. For this photo, I first corrected for possible bubble distortion. Next, I straightened it. The following step was the trickiest: I tried ‘correcting’ the perspective (being a tall building, I needed to take the picture from nearly ground-level, which tended to ‘distort’ some of the features – mostly the clock tower). That correction probably accounts for the ‘strange’ appearance of the door arches above the main entrance. After doing this, I cropped the photo. The tricky part was that the perspective correction caused part of the upper-right corner to disappear. So, I used the clone tool to ‘paint’ a little bit on the cloud cover. I had considered trying to ‘remove’ the flagpole and lightposts in the front of the building, but decided against that. On a side note, I took the photograph January 16, 2013. Since two large trees which normally mask part of the front had shed their leaves, this gave a nice opportunity to get a shot of most of the building proper. Also, visible at the extreme bottom is an ‘Under Repair’ sign (white, with red lettering), which I also considered ‘removing,’ but decided that the blur factor in the painted product would render the sign a non-issue. Finally, I re-cropped the painting itself, since there was a small imperfection at the upper-right corner (probably from my use of the cloning tool). I saved using the ‘excellent’ quality option, and set it as a ‘progressive’ file for online loading purposes.
Canvas Color: Hue: 38, Sat: 240, Lum: 218
Red: 255, Green: 253, Blue: 208
Brush Size: 14.3, Opacity: 100%, Grain: 18% (the default is 12%, but it looked like there was a very disturbing symetrical pattern, so I increased this, as well as my original random setting for brush size).
Smart Blur: 5%, Edge: None, Color: Intense, Paper: Handmade, Brush: Square Chalk (slowly becoming my favorite ‘brush’)
Random Strokes: Shape: Scribble, Randomness: 80%, Pressure: 85%, Length: 85%, Rotation:
-, Brush Size: 85%, Amount: 95% (I originally used a lower percentage, but it seemed to leave a distrubing symetrical pattern).