15% OFF EVERYTHING! USE CODE GET15

Italy Venice St Mark' s Basilica by Luigi Petro
Clear

Currently unavailable for purchase

Available to buy on…

Italy Venice St Mark' s Basilica by 


Saint Mark’s Basilica (Italian: Basilica di San Marco a Venezia), the cathedral of Venice, is the most famous of the city’s churches and one of the best known examples of Byzantine architecture. It lies on St Mark’s Square (in the San Marco sestiere or district) adjacent and connected to the Doge’s Palace. Originally it was the “chapel” of of the Venetian rulers, and not the city’s cathedral. Since 1807 it has been the seat of the Patriarch of Venice, archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice. For its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building was known by the nickname Chiesa d’Oro (Church of gold). The first St Mark’s was a temporary building in the Doge’s Palace, constructed in 828, when Venetian merchants stole the supposed relics of Saint Mark the Evangelist from Alexandria. This was replaced by a new church on its present site in 832; from the same century dates the first St Mark’s Campanile (bell tower). The new church was burned in a rebellion in 976, rebuilt in 978 and again to form the basis of the present basilica since 1063. The basilica was consecrated in 1094, the same year in which the body of Saint Mark was supposedly rediscovered in a pillar by Vitale Falier, doge at the time. The building also incorporates a low tower (now housing St Mark’s Treasure), believed by some to have been part of the original Doge’s Palace. Within the first half of the 13th century the narthex and the new façade were constructed, most of the mosaics were completed

Tags

basilica, byzantine, cathedral, dome, italy, mark, marks, piazza, square, venice

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait