|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
These are the oldest baths in NSW. About 1820, a natural pool was enlarged by convicts or soldiers, on the orders of Major James Thomas Morisset, Commandant of the Newcastle settlement from 1819 to 1822. Its original size is estimated as 15 feet long, seven feet wide and six feet deep. Initially reserved for military use, these baths apparently served for a time as Morisset’s private bathing place and were for many years known as the Commandant’s Bath.