History of the Palace
BUILT in 1908, the Palace Hotel was one of the last of the great Edwardian hotels.
It commanded views across the estuary and in its heyday was patronised by royalty and major entertainment stars.
But the hotel – which had more than 100 rooms – was not to last for many years in such grand style.
During the First World War, it was used as a hospital for officers and also by the military in 1939.
Although it was restored to grandeur on both occasions, its days were numbered by the Fifties.
The Palace was too big and out of style with the times and eventually it hit financial difficulties.
The building was bought by Polish refugee Motel Burstin, who turned it into an old people’s home.
It is now back as a Hotel and renamed as the Park inn and is part of the Radisson group
18-55mm kit lens 3 shots in Raw tonemapped in Photomatix pro
converted into Mono in Picasa 3