Fornalutz is one of the prettiest villages in the mountains of Northern Majorca.
Situated in the heart of the Serra de Tramuntana, in a spectacular valley that starts from the Puig Major and descends towards Soller, Fornalutx can be found, considered to be one of the most singular villages on Mallorca. Because of its extraordinary beauty and enviable state of conservation, Fornalutx has received different prizes and recognition.
The history of Fornalutx starts over 1000 years ago, when it was an Arab property. The population of the area started after the Catalan conquest and the present church was finished in 1639. Until 1813 it depended on the Parish of Soller and in 1837 it became an independent municipality.
The charms of Fornalutx are uncountable. The stone streets and steps of the old centre, carefully adorned with many pots and plants; the ancient stone houses and the doorways wide open; the lush vegetation on the mountain terraces and the orchards where the famous oranges are grown.
The architecture of the village is of stone and red roof tiles, with most buildings’ windows also having green painted wooden shutters. The stone façades on the majority of these houses have been exposed in recent years by removing the original render to give the buildings a more rustic appearance than was originally the case. Built on different levels, many of the higher streets are pedestrianised and cobbled, with grassy paths leading off into the orchards and farms to the north.
The dominant large plants in the area are orange trees, lemon trees and cacti. Thousands of house sparrows flit around the area and sheep graze in the surrounding orchards.
FEATURED IN A GARDEN SOMEWHERE
8TH PLACE IN A PARADISE SOMEWHERE CHALLENGE APRIL 2014