201 Views 20121215
Featured in Christian Churches 20111130
101 Views 20111018
A city set on a hill cannot be hid, and Laon fits that description. As we drove in from the southwest it stood out in the words of our Michelin ‘as an acropolis’. One could not hep but wonder how we were going to get up there. We followed the turns of the road.
The church was founded here in 500 AD, and a cathedral was burnt in a revolt of 1112. The Chevet,transept, and apse without chapels of the present cathedral were built in 1150-55, and the glass in these is believed to be from that period. The tympanum was made in 1160, installed and later moved to its present site on the facade when the nave was completed after40 years work in 1220. The rose window was added in 1300. Its location is unusual, being in the apse. Laon is different in that the apse is straight ended rather what is usual in French churches.
The difference in height between the nave (24m) and crossing (40m) is also evident in this shot.
Taken with Pentax LX camera and 28 mm shift lens on Kodachrome film.