In the reign of Henry 1 (1100-1135) or Stephen (1135-1154) William de Gresley founded a Priory of Canons Regular of St Augustine and the Church formed part of the monastic buildings. It was endowed with the lands, chiefly in this parish, valued at the Dissolution at less than £40. Worship has gone on through the ages – from Norman times, through the medieval period, the terrible Black Death to the Reformation and since, and still goes on. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries Act of 1536 the whole fabric of the priory fell into decay with the exception of the nave of the priory Church which became the Parish Church of Gresley. At the subversion of the priory many of the monuments perished and the reformers swept away furnishings and decoration which they considered to be signs of idolatry.