A UNESCO World Heritage Site
Siena’s majestic duomo sits on a site where a Roman temple to Minerva once stood. Its spectacular façade was constructed between 1284 and 1296, and was largely the work of the Pisan architect and sculptor Giovanna Pisano. When the cathedral neared completion, a major addition was added to the original plan. Plague and economic strife brought construction to a halt. In the late 1300’s the dumo was completed according to the original plan. The parts of the addition that were built remain standing.