Tibbie Shiels Inn, St Mary’s Loch, Scotland.
"The Inn takes its name from Isabella (Tibbie) Shiel who moved with her husband Robert Richardson, a mole catcher, in 1823 into what was then known as St. Mary’s cottage on the estate of Lord Napier. After the death of her husband in the following year Tibbie, who following local custom resumed her maiden name, determined to support herself and six bairns by taking in gentlemen lodgers. Thirteen beds in all were available for guests in the room which is now the Bar and in the attic, although on occasions such as the 12th of August, "when the shooters come up among the hills", as many as 35 were accommodated, the excess being "made comfortable" on the floor. James Hogg ‘the Ettrick Shepherd’ was a regular visitor. An old friend of Hogg (she had worked as a girl in his mother’s household) Tibbie was unimpressed by his writing, saying: "He wrote a deal o’ trash but was a gey sensible man for a’ that". James Hogg’s friend and contemporary, Sir Walter Scott, was another of Tibbie’s admirers and other names appearing in the visitor’s books (still existing in the care of Tibbie’s descendants) are Robert L. Stevenson, Thomas Carlyle, Thomas Stoddart (angler and angling poet) and Gladstone."