This lighthouse stands today as a reminder of a past era when safe shipping depended on a light keeper and his light. from within the stuccoed brick walls of the adjoining 47 ft. tower was a fixed fourth-order light which beaconed 28 seconds, eclipsed two seconds. The light safely guided boats across the shallow beach at the mouth of the Coquille River until 1939 when it was abandoned and replaced by an automated light on the south jetty, (seen here just to the right of the house)
In 1963 the Oregon state Parks leased the light house and surrounding acreage from the army Corps of engineers for park purposes..together these two agencies restored the weather worn and deteriorated lighthouse in 1978.
Of the eight lighthouses remaining on the Oregon coast, the Coquille River Lighthouse was the last constructed. It is listed on the national register of historic places.
Canon T1i w/Canon 18-55…