The Priory was founded early in the 7th century, perhaps by Edwin of Northumbria..In 1538 the monastery of Tynemouth was disbanded by Robert Blakeney, the last prior of Tynemouth. The church remained in use as a parish church until 1668 when a new church was built nearby. The ruins of the church can still be seen. Beneath them is a small (18 feet by 12 feet) chapel, the Oratory of St Mary or Percy Chapel. Its notable decorative features include a painted ceiling with numerous coats of arms and other symbols, stained-glass side windows, and a small rose window in the east wall, above the altar.
Pentax K10D 18-55 mm
1/90 @ f6.7 ISO 100 Raw