Black 5 45428 ERIC TREACY close up at Grosmont
LMS 5428 was built in 1937 by Armstrong Whitworth at Newcastle, one of an order for 227 such locomotives, the largest order ever placed by a British railway company with a private firm. A further 100 ‘Black Fives’ were also built by the firm.
Leeds Holbeck was one of the nearest depots to the North Fast to which they were allocated, and 45428 was one of that depot’s allocation. As well as working main line trains, Holbeck provided Class 5s for summer specials from the West Riding to Whitby, via York, Malton, Pickering and what is now the NYMR; thus ‘Black Fives’ became a familiar sight through Newtondale and it is possible that 45428 was one of them. The locomotive hauled the last steam worked London bound express from Bradford to Leeds on I October 1967 and was withdrawn a week later when steam traction was abandoned in the Leeds area — and indeed throughout the North East region.
Purchased by Brian Hollingsworth in 1967, it steamed to Tyseley and remained there until 5 November 1973 when, accompanied by GNR J13 1247 and the GW Saloon, it was brought to Grosmont for service on the newly-opened NYMR The locomotive had been named ‘Eric Treacy,’ at Tyseley in 1969, as a tribute to the former Bishop of Wakefield, an eminent railway photographer. 5428, as it was then styled, ran until the end of 1975 when it was withdrawn for overhaul.
When it was eventually returned to service in March 1984, it carried early BR lined black livery and the BR number 45428. It then ran without major attention until taken out of traffic in 1990 for boiler and other repairs which included a new front tube plate manufactured by Roger Pridham. While out of service one mechanical modification was to fit a rocking front section to the grate, so lessening the work of the fireman. All outstanding work was completed for a steam test on 29 June 1994 and the locomotive returned to service once again as LMS 5428. Further work on valves, motion and the lubrication system was, however, necessary the following winter. In 1995 it appeared briefly with ‘BRITISH RAILWAYS’ on the tender for a ‘Heartbeat’ episode although viewers saw only the coaches of the train taking children to ‘Eltering’. During the October 1995 Gala it was turned to face north in order to even out tyre wear. For the 1996 season it appeared in later BR black as 45428 again and has since reverted to facing south, except for a brief spell for ‘Heartbeat’ filming in April 1997. It was taken out of service in September 1999 for another major overhaul
Pentax K10D 18-55mm
1/45 @ f11 ISO200 Raw