Saltburn’s Victorian pier was the first iron pier to be built on the North East Coast, is the most northerly surviving British Pier and the only remaining pleasure pier on the North East coast. Built in an exposed position and facing due north into the cruel and unforgiving North Sea, the history of Saltburn Pier tells a tale of survival against the elements. The pier was commissioned by the Saltburn Pier Company in 1867, designed by Mr J Anderson and completed two years later, opening in May 1869.
Consisting of iron trestles under a wooden deck, the pier was built to a length of 1400ft (424m). There was a steamer landing stage at the head of the pier and two circular kiosks at the entrance. During 1873 it was decided to build a saloon at the pier head and to provide gas lighting along the length of the pier. Within ten years of opening, two horrific gales had taken out the pier head, the landing stage and part of the pier deck. The damage was repaired – subsequent alterations reducing the length of the pier to 1250ft (379m) – and the pier re-opened but the Saltburn Pier Company had lost heart and decided to sell. The Pier and hoist were sold at auction at the Alexandra Hotel for £800 in 1880.
The new owners were the Saltburn Improvement Company. Windshields, a bandstand, and refreshment rooms were added. Gas lighting was replaced by electric lighting in 1887. The pier-head suffered further storm damage in 1900 and in May 1924 the German ship ‘Ovenbeg’ collided with the west side of the pier causing a great deal of damage. The bandstand was now inaccessible so a theatre was built at the shore entrance in 1925. The damage caused by the collision was finally repaired, five years later, in 1930.
Pentax K10D 18-55mm
1/180 @ f11 ISO 200 Raw
5 images processed in Photomatix Pro4