This is a Grade 1 listed building at Salton,North Yorkshire.
The village of Salton is small, but pleasantly situated on the banks of the Dove, about five miles S. of Kirbymoorside. The church, which is dedicated to St. John of Beverley, is a Norman structure of the 11th century, with restorations of later date. The edifice was partially destroyed by fire about the year 1200, but it was thoroughly restored again, the present fine tower was built at the west end, and some of the very narrow windows were made wider and longer, with pointed heads. Traces of the fire may still be seen on the walls. The arch of the porch is part of the original church, and is ornamented with two orders of well-carved beak heads, with the remains of a third. The chancel arch, which is also Norman, exhibits three of zigzag work. The church was again restored in 1881, at a cost of over £2,000, towards which the lord of the manor contributed £1,000. A new spiral staircase was erected in the tower, and the gallery, which disfigured the west end of the nave, was taken down, The chancel window is a memorial of the late John Woodall, Esq.
Pentax K10D 18-55mm.
1/30 @ f4 iso 200 raw