From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Askrigg is a small village and civil parish in Wensleydale in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It is part of the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. The village and its parish are positioned in Upper Wensleydale, 12 miles west of the main town, Leyburn, and 5 miles east of Hawes, the home of Wensleydale cheese.
The name Askrigg is of Old Norse origin meaning the ridge where ash trees grew, denoting the existence of Viking settlers and their farming. The oldest settlement probably dates back to the Iron Age.
The village remained of little commercial importance throughout the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries when Wensleydale was extensively used for sheep grazing by the Cistercian monks, who became prosperous on the profits of the wool trade. In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, however, secular wealth became important in the dale following the border conflicts in the north and the Dissolution of the Monasteries throughout the country. The local church, the church of St Oswald, was erected about 1466 and is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and six bells.
Shot whilst on a RB meet with fellow RB’ers
Steve & Lesley
and of course our favorite Max
Pentax K10D 18-55mm
1/20 @f16 ISO200
processed in Photomatix Pro4 and Photoshop CS5