The Old Rectory

Greeting Cards & Postcards

Trevor Kersley

Easingwold,York, United Kingdom

  • Product
  • Reviews
  • Available
  • Artist
  • Comments 34

Sizing Information

Small Greeting Card Large Greeting Card Postcard
4" x 6" 5" x 7.5" 4" x 6"


  • 300gsm card with a satin finish
  • Supplied with envelopes
  • Optional cellophane sleeves, ideal for reselling
  • Discount of 20% on every order of 8+ cards


Artist's Description

•+*Maintained by English Heritage*+

On the site of Egglestone Abbey,Co Durham.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Egglestone Abbey is an abandoned Premonstratensian Abbey on the eastern bank of the River Tees, 1½ miles (2.5km) south-east of Barnard Castle in County Durham, England. Historically part of the North Riding of Yorkshire.
The site buildings are protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument and they are maintained by English Heritage,
The Abbey was founded in the late 12th century at some point between 1168 and 1198. The founders were the Premonstratensians who wore a white habit and became known as the White Canons. The followed a code of austerity similar to that of Cistercian monks, unlike monks of other orders, they were exempt from the strict Episcopal discipline. They undertook preaching and pastoral work in the region (such as distributing meat and drink). They chose the site for the abbey was chosen because of its isolation, close proximity to a river and the supply of local stone for its construction.
In common with many of the early monasteries, the original church at Egglestone Abbey was enlarged, and partly rebuilt, about one hundred years later, it is this later church that survives today.
The abbey was always poor and at times had difficulty maintaining the required number of canons (twelve – from the twelve Apostles).
Egglestone Abbey was to suffer at the hands of Scottish invaders and the rowdy English army who were billeted there in 1346 on their way to the Battle of Neville’s Cross.
The Abbey was dissolved in 1540 by king Henry VIII, the lands were granted to Robert Strelly in 1548, who converted some of the buildings into a great private house that was abandoned in the mid-19th century.
Eventually, much of the abbey was pulled down and some of the stonework was used to pave the stable yard at the nearby Rokeby Hall in the 19th century.
Maintained by English Heritage

Pentax K10D 18-55mm lens

3 images processed in Photomatix Pro3, adjusted in CS3.

Greeting Cards & Postcards Tags

abbey county durham egglestone rectory ruins stone

All Products Tags

abbey county durham egglestone rectory ruins stone

Artwork Comments

  • WatscapePhoto
  • Trevor Kersley
  • BCImages
  • Trevor Kersley
  • Catherine Hamilton-Veal  ©
  • Trevor Kersley
  • Glen Allen
  • Trevor Kersley
  • Jason Asher
  • Trevor Kersley
  • Finbarr Reilly
  • Trevor Kersley
  • titus
  • Trevor Kersley
  • Jadon
  • Trevor Kersley
  • etienneUK
  • Trevor Kersley
  • CeePhotoArt
  • Trevor Kersley
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10%off for joining

the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.