The Cod Beck flows through the market town of Thirsk in North Yorkshire.
Its name means the small river that flows by the wood (coed in old English). The photo is of the old pack-horse bridge in Sowerby, the southern part of Thirsk.
It is a delightful leafy green scene today. The bridge was built of sandstone in 1672 with a massive grant at the time of £20. It was part of the pack horse transport network which carried goods all over England. This bridge was a key river crossing on the old Drovers’ Road along the base of the Hambleton Hills and replaced a nearby ford. The bridge is fairly narrow (5 feet wide) and has low parapets so that the packs on the horses had clearance.