Meopham Green and Killick’s Mill – Kent, UK
Meopham is such a lovely quintessential English town, with a green, two pubs and nice houses. It also has a wonderful old windmill. See Details below.
Camera Details Nikon D700 with 28-300mm Nikon Lense. ISO 200, 1/640th sec, f/4.2, 48mm. Handheld.
Killick’s Mill is a Grade II* listed Smock mill in Meopham, Kent, England that was built in 1801 and which has been restored.
History of Killick’s Mill
Killick’s mill was built in 1801 by three brothers named Killick from strood. Unusually, the mill is hexagonal in plan. Most smock mills are octagonal in plan. The mill was run by the Killick family until 1889 when it was sold to the Norton family. The mill last worked by wind in 1929, and then by oil engine and electric motor until the 1965. The mill was acquired by Kent County Council in 1960 and restored by E Hole and Sons, the Burgess Hill millwrights at a cost of £4,375.
Description of Killick’s Mill.
Killick’s Mill is a three storey smock mill on a two storey single storey brick base. There is a stage at first floor level. It has four double patent sails carried on a cast iron windshaft. The sails are long. The mill is winded by a fantail.The wooden Brake Wheel is diameter. The Wallower and Great Spur Wheel are of cast iron.
When the mill was built, it had two pairs of millstones. Later a third and then a fourth pair were added. One of the added pair of stones came from Richardson’s mill, Boughton under Blean, as did the auxiliary oil engine. The stones are driven overdrift. At one time, the mill generated its own electricity to power electric lights within the mill.
•James Killick 1801 – 1823
•Sukey Killick 1823 –
•James Killick 1852 – 1889
•Richard Killick 1882 – 1889
•Thomas Killick 1882 – 1889
•John Norton 1889 –
•William Norton 1889 –
•J & W Norton 1895 – 1950s
•J & W Norton (Meopham) Ltd. 1950s – 1965