New Market, as it was originally known, later also known as Headhouse Market and Second Street Market, is a historic street market in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA.
Established in 1745 and named “New Market” to distinguish it from the established market on High (now Market) St., it was used well into the 19th century. Two rows of brick pillars support a gable roof and arched ceiling over an open market area, known as the Shambles. At one end stands a brick building, the Headhouse, a former firehouse built in 1804, the oldest in the United States, now used as a community center. The area features cobblestone streets and a park. It also features one of the oldest continually run farmer’s markets in the nation.
National Register of Historic Places :
New Market (added 1966 Building #66000686) Also known as Head House Market
S. 2nd St., between Pine and Lombard Sts., Philadelphia
Canon EOS 630 Canon 18/55 Kodak 400-35mm Neg scan No edit
Image Copyright© DJFlorek all rights reserved