Third of 4 digital artworks created for a WWF FDC envelope issue.
Some you win, some you lose…
After yesterday’s success at turning what I thought was a difficult one around in 10 hours, I ended up spending about 15 hours on this one, which I didn’t think would be much of a problem. The only initial reservation I had was that in the ref pic, the adult looked rather ‘stuffed’ and inanimate, but thought I could fix that quite easily. What I didn’t notice was the quality of the image itself. It was very grainy and the detail was very fuzzy.
This meant that ‘eyedropping’ the colors (saves time mixing) was virtually impossible because I got false readings most of the time. For example: what looked like a dark brown/ grey on the back of the bird, eyedropped as dark green ar dark red, depending on exactly where I placed the eydropper.So I ended up having to ignore that and do it by eye, which I can do, but it takes longer. Also, the tones on the body and neck were so delicate, I really needed a dark environment to see them properly, not a brightly sunlit studio! This meant I had to leave most of it until the sun had set and work on it during the evening. I’m quite pleased with the result, but disappointed it took so long to do.
Once again, you’ll notice the generic background has been used with the addition of the rocks in the fg.