Pubnico Harbour Lighthouse, Charlesville, Nova Scotia, Canada. In the background, across Pubnico Harbour is a wind pump of the Pubnico Point Wind Farm.
(www.yarmouth.org) Pubnico derives its name from the Mi’kmaq word meaning “cleared land”. Settled in 1653 by Acadians, these villages (West Pubnico, Middle West Pubnico and Lower West Pubnico) make up the oldest Acadian settlement in the province. They rely on the sea for their livelihood, and the area maintains several wharves, breakwaters, fishing fleets, and fish processing plants.
(www.dentremontdesign.com/pubnico-ca) Pubnico is located in what was called, before the Expulsion, CAPE SABLE, which, even at the beginning, around 1614, had as its center what is now Port La Tour, called then Port Lomeron, David Lomeron having here a trading post, dealing with fur and fish. Charles de Biencourt, who was at the head of the small group of Frenchmen of what was then Acadia, comprising the south-western part of the peninsula, died around 1624. In 1631. Louis XIII named as Governor of Acadia Charles de La Tour, who had been a faithful companion of Charles de Biencourt. It is then that the name of Port Lomeron was changed to the name of Port La Tour. He was named Governor of Acadia again in 1651, while in France, from where he came back, bringing with him Philippe Mius d’Entremont, who was to be his Major. It is Philippe Mius d’Entremont who was to be the founder of Pubnico.
Canon PowerShot 710IS