(Churches in the Diocese of Yarmouth) The first St. Bernard church in the Acadian village of St. Bernard, Nova Scotia, Canada was consecrated by Archbishop Walsh on June 20, 1853, and continued in service until the present church was completed and blessed in 1942. It was then torn down and a commemorative monument erected on the site. Then Pastor, Rev. Edward LeBlanc. In 1912, Fr. LeBlanc was made Bishop of Saint John, N.B., the very first Acadian ever elevated to Episcopal rank. Built of Shelburne granite, the huge blocks were brought by rail to the Station, and then by ox-cart to the site. Determined not to incur debt, the work went through thirty-two weary years. Finally to Rev. Elie LeBlanc, who became Pastor in 1937, fell the privilege of finishing the noble task and of witnessing the blessing of this magnificent House of God by His Excellency Archbishop McNally, on September 24, 1942.
Canon PowerShot 710IS