This Sienese Piazza is formed by three buildings – on the right, the Palazzo Spannocchi, built in the Renaissance style by the Florentine architect, Giuliano da Maiano in 1470, but completed with the façade in this piazza in 1880 by Giuseppe Partini. On the left, Palazzo Cantucci, built in 1548 by Bartolomeo Neroni who was commonly known as il Riccio.
And in the center…the dominant building and the feature of the piazza – the 14th century Palazzo Salimbeni. Built in 1879 this imposing building was restored and enlarged in the neo-Gothic style by Giuseppe Partini. Palazzo Salimbeni is the headquarters of Monte dei Paschi, one of the Italy’s principal banks – established in 1624 by incorporating the Monte Pio bank, which had been founded in 1472.
In the center of it all stands the statue of the archdeacon Sallustio Bandini, champion of economic freedom, who died in 1780. The statue is the work of the Sienese sculptor Tito Sarocchi who carved it in 1882.
Shot with Nikon D-3 & 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor at 17mm f/5.6