Standing on Pennsylvania Avenue near the halfway point between the White House and the US Capitol, the Old Post Office Tower ranks third in height among the buildings of the Nation’s Capital, soaring to a majestic 315 feet.
When completed in 1899, the New York Times criticized the building as looking like “a cross between a cathedral and a cotton mill.”
It was the largest government building in the District of Columbia at the turn of the century and the first with a clock tower. It was one of the city’s first steel frame buildings with a granite skin covering the steel to fireproof it. The electric power plant, capable of driving 3,900 lights, was the first to be installed in a district building.
On the tenth floor are the beautiful Bells of Congress. These bells are replicas of those at London’s Westminster Abbey and were a Bicentennial gift from the Ditchley Foundation in England.
Shot with Nikon D3 w/80-200mm f/2.8 zoom @ 135mm