Completted in 1886 and constructed of the local pink granite, as a public works gaol. The inmates of this gaol were to provide a safe harbour between Sydney and Brisbane, through the construction of a break water. After 17 years of battling the strong surf, construction of the break water was abandoned and the gaol was closed.
In 1915 it was used as an internment camp for citizens of German descent until 1918.
Listed in the Australian registry of national estate on March 21st 1978.
ID Number 3479.
Canon 40d 10-22mm lens