The tide is out below the ruins of Dunure Castle.
Dunure Castle is located on the west coast of Scotland, in South Ayrshire, about 5 miles south of Ayr and close to the village of Dunure. Dunure Castle today stands in ruins on a rocky promontory on the Carrick coast, protecting the small Dunure harbour.
The site dates from the late 13th century; the earliest charter for the lands dating from 1256, but the remains of the building are of 15th and 16th century origin. One tradition is that the castle was built by the Danes and another states that the Mackinnons held the castle from Alexander III, as a reward for their valour at the Battle of Largs.
The castle is the point of origin of the Kennedys of Carrick, who once ruled over much of south western Scotland and were granted the lands in 1357. Sir James Balfour described Dunure as a grate and pleasant strong house, the most ancient habitation of the surname of Kennedy, Lairds of Dunure, now Earles of Cassiles. In August 1563, Mary, Queen of Scots, visited the castle for three days during her third progress round the west of the country.