Roches Point is situated in the south eastern tip of Cork Harbour.
In April 1937, Roches Point was one of the four telegraphic stations taken over by Met Éireann, from the British Meteorological Society. Then on the 1st of January 1940, Roches Point actually became a full synoptic station. It housed such instruments as the mercury barometer, Campbell-Stokes sunshine recorder, dines pressure tube anemometer etc. On the 28th February 1991 it ceased to operate as a full-time synoptic station and in July 1991 the Vaisala Cup Anemometer replaced the Dines anemometer and the Vaisala Milos automatic station was installed.