Taradale Railway Viaduct – Taradale, Victoria, Au
The viaduct was constructed by contractors, Cornish & Bruce, between 1858 & 1862.
The rail service from Melbourne to Bendigo commenced on 20th October 1862.
The structure stands 120ft (36.6m) above the back creek, it has five spans totalling 650ft (198.3m) and a total length, including end buttresses, of 828ft (251.6m). The chiselled Bluestone buttress & original columns surmounted the steel girders. The fine iron railings continue to form an impressive and elegant backdrop to the village.
Construction cost was 230,000 pounds ($460,000)
With the increase in rail traffic as the country developed & the heavier rail rolling stock, it was deemed necessary to strengthen the structure.
In 1933 – 34, the fabricated steel colomns were added. The viaduct carries two tracks and is still in frequent daily use for freight and passenger traffic..
Camera – Olympus E-3
Lens – Zuiko 12-60mm
Focal Length – 12 mm
Shutter – 1/200 sec
Aperture – F7.1
ISO – 200