This sculpture by Wallace Anderson (1888-1975) is found in Johnstone Park, Geelong. It was commissioned in 1928 by the directors of the Returned Soldiers and Sailors Co-operative Woollen Mill (The Diggers Mill) in Newtown. It was erected at the mill in 1929 and relocated in Johnstone Park in 1982. The statue depicts an ANZAC soldier in boots, shorts and hat with a regimental flag draped over a broken gun barrel. It embodies the spirit of the mill’s returned servicemen shareholders.
Featured by “Australia @ Large” – April 2012